BUILD YOUR PORTFOLIO | LEARN THE BUSINESS | EAT BEAUTIFUL FOOD!
All level of photographers are welcome! Whether you're an amateur or professional food blogger, pro photographer looking to break into the commercial industry, a wedding photographer looking to up their food game, or even someone who just loves posting images of gorgeous food that they eat, this course will take your food photography to the next level. Come and join us for an incredibly fun, informative and delicious weekend!
Come and learn the how-to's of professional food photography: working food with light and angles, understanding contrast, depth of field and composition as it applies to food, as well as the key equipment involved in food photography. We'll also discover the way in which your choice of props, surfaces, and other styling aspects change the look and feel of your shot. Props and styling aids will be supplied.
Thursday, June 7
Join us for a Meet & Greet wine and cheese at the beautiful Bullock Lake Barn. Meet the team and find out what the weekend holds in store! Enjoy the incredible atmosphere and soak up the late evening sun while you sip on local ciders and wines and nibble on Chef's delicious treats.
Friday, June 8
We'll start the day with an introduction from the Bullock Lake Farm team - they'll give us some insight into their farming methods and philosophies behind the foods that they grow.
DAY 1 SHOOT 1
WORKING WITH LIGHT DEMO - watch Danielle and Aurelia create a simple yet beautifully lit image featuring some of the farm's most gorgeous produce. Participants will then be given their choice of products to shoot to create their own light-scape photograph.
Fresh From the Farm food created for the group by Chef Julian Oberlacher
DAY 1 SHOOT 2
STYLING AND PROPPING - stylist Aurelia Louvet will demonstrate how propping and styling food can influence the 'mood' of your imagery. Participants will then be given art direction and the opportunity to create their own images using all of the props and sets provided.
DAY 1 SHOOT 3
PIZZA! What can be better than creating a photo food story than DIY pizzas and an outdoor wood-burning oven? Participants will be able to create their own pizzas, photographing the process as they go - shoot the fire, oven, chef loading wood in, ingredients, dough, and finished pizza.
Chef will prepare salads and dessert to accompany the delicious pizzas created during our shoot
Saturday, June 9
Today is all about visual storytelling so hold onto your hats as it's going to be EPIC!
DAY 2 SHOOT 1:
- MORNING MARKET: This morning we'll meet for coffee down at the legendary Salt Spring Saturday Market. After a quick discussion on the how to's of journalistic food story telling, we'll spend about an hour walking the market, tasting the treats, enjoying the sights, and meeting the local vendors. Particpants will be encouraged to connect with a local vendor to create a story ending in a product shot.
DAY 2 SHOOT 2:
- CLIENT BASED PRODUCT PHOTOGRAPHY: Back at the Farm, we'll demonstrate a product 'beauty' shot for a client with creative art direction and input. Participants will then break out to photograph their own market products and complete their chosen stories.
LUNCH: more Farm-to-Table perfection from Chef Julian Oberlacher
DAY 2 SHOOT 3:
- AN ORGANIC FARM: Time to take in the farm! Come along as owner Zack Hemstreet gives us a private tour of the beautiful farm. We'll get the chance to see the farm from the inside out and create journalistic images as we go. Participants will have the opportunity to enjoy the lake for a late afternoon cool down - a definite treat on the island!
DAY 2 SHOOT 4:
- FARM-TO-TABLE STYLED SHOOT: Farm owner Molly Wilson has a special treat in store for us! Gather in the barns as she walks us through setting up a styled 'barn' dinner; from flower selections to table adorning features, no detail will be overlooked! We'll photograph the details and over all table before becoming guests at the feast.
DINNER: BE OUR GUEST at this exclusive Farm-To-Table dinner created specifically for our group. Enjoy the entertainment and refreshments along with an incredible meal - the stuff memories are made of!
Sunday, June 10
Start the day with a round table discussion on the state of the industry and the art of breaking into the business.
DAY 3 SHOOT 1:
- THE ART OF BLOGGING: working in partners we'll split out and work through a few recipes from Chef - shoot the ingredients, prep, and final product in blogging style.
LUNCH: enjoy the fruits of our labour as Chef Julian Oberlacher finishes off and serves up our delicious farm fresh lunch.
EDIT BREAK: Take a few moments to quick edit your top 5 favourite images from the weekend to be shown in our review
REVIEW AND CRITIQUE: The team will weigh in and offer constructive criticism and praise for your top 3-5 images.
DEPARTURE: Until we meet again.